Home Forums Pro tips Share your tips! Select list actions

• Author
    Ben
    Ben
    22 pts

UXPin has a HTML-like select or “drop-down” element — just search for “selectlist”. But it’s a little-known fact that you can create actions based on which item the user selects. Paired with multistate elements, you can use this to reveal more information as required.

1. Create a select list by searching for (?).
    2. Add a new interaction to that select list.
      • Trigger: Option select
      • Action: Set state

What’s that good for? Revealing more options, especially in ecommerce form prototypes.

• How long will it take? The user chooses expedited shipping, and a time estimate appears.
    • PayPal or credit card? Make additional fields appear if the user opts to pay with Visa or Mastercard.
    • Do you have a promo code? Make a form field appear to accept the discount.
    • Shipping overseas? Hide domestic U.S. shipping options if the user’s sending a package to, say, Poland.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #11096 Score: 0

uxpinnin
    Participant

Hi,

I have a multi-state item set up. I have a select list that takes you to the next screen. On that screen, I have a back button to go to the first screen. But when I go back to the screen with the select list, it doesn’t work. Is there anyway to reset the select list, so when you go back to the screen that has it, it still works?

Thanks!

• #11116 Score: 0
    Loomie
    Loomie
    4 pts

Yes. Add another option to the select list and leave it blank. Once it’s added, you can move it to the top of the select list and it should give you the action you’re looking for. 🙂

http://recordit.co/wN2G5iSHVO

• #11144 Score: 0

uxpinnin
    Participant

So I’m navigating between states. So I have a select list, and when I pick an option, it goes to the next state. I have a back button on that state to go back to the previous state, but the select list doesn’t work once I go back to that state. Is there a way to get it to work or reset it when I go back to it’s state?

Thanks!

• #14892 Score: 0

jeromedsmith
    Participant

Can you use the Option select so a state triggers action
    to go to another page?

• #14917 Score: 0

Aleksandra Olszta
    6 pts

I’m afraid that it won’t be possible for a state to be a trigger for Go to page interaction. However, you can always do this in 2 steps: set interaction on Option select Set state and then add Go to page interaction with trigger eg. click for a given state of your multistate element.

I hope it helps, but if you had something else in mind, please share with us some specific examples or a preview link of what you’re creating. We’ll be able to advise you better then.

• #18667 Score: 0

kwojciechowska
    Participant

hi,
    I am trying to reproduce this, but I can’t see the “option select” option in my trigger menu.
    Has that changed? Can someone recommend how to do that now?

thank you!

Attachments:
  • #18674 Score: 0

kwojciechowska
    Participant

hi,
    I am trying to reproduce this, but I can’t see the “option select” option in my trigger menu.
    Has that changed? Can someone recommend how to do that now?

thank you!

Attachments:
  • #18686 Score: 0

Tomasz Iwaniak
    12 pts

Responded in e-mail, but basically Option Select trigger is reserved for “Selectlist” element. 🙂

• #23987 Score: 0
    JohnSMith75
    JohnSMith75
    Participant
    1 pt

Very interesting information, thx for sharing.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here to login or register